OT Re: [Nottingham] Re: Tux Games mail is still unread

Simon Huggins huggie at earth.li
Tue May 25 18:25:00 BST 2004

On Tue, May 25, 2004 at 06:16:31PM +0100, Martin wrote:
> Simon Huggins wrote:
> >On Tue, May 25, 2004 at 05:36:12PM +0100, Martin wrote:
> [...]
> >>If one of my friends gets hit by a virus and their address book is
> >>raided, then I'll just get the spam from them or from other's forging
> >                                                        others
> >>that source address. Very easy to narrow down and fix.
> >Fix how?  Do you then block all of that person's mails?
> The fix is to convert them to linux, change their email address, or
> run a check to accept mail only from their usual mail relay for them.

Hmm, I guess that's the best you can do within current protocols.  Still
a bit icky but yes fair enough.

> [...]
> >No, the penalty of CR is those emails you never see because people
> >couldn't be bothered to jump through your hoops in order to get you to
> >see their mail.
> Then they aren't interested in talking to me, or they are just too
> self-important to waste their time with me.

Well yes but then you say...

> >Why are you special?  Why should I have to jump through hoops to send
> >you mail? :)
> I would hope that my friends consider me special enough to go to the
> trouble of 5 mins reading of instructions and then two or three clicks
> as a one-off 'whitelisting' initiation.

> And I do consider my time to be very 'special' and not for others to
> waste for their advantage or their otherwise crass negligence.

So your time is special but theirs is less special?

I don't know, I'm still not convinced.  I know that combatting spam is
all about tradeoffs but it would annoy me as a random person to have to
jump through hoops to send you mail especially if I had gone to the
effort of helping you and then get my efforts thrown back in my face
with a "please go to this URL and decode this graphic to get me to read
your message" as if you didn't care about the message I'd sent at all.

Simon.

--
* "JarJar Binks^W^WSupport for CRLF<->LF translation in the kernel  *
| must die." - Alexander Viro                                       |