[Nottingham] KDE: reserving desktop space - how?

msemtd at yahoo.co.uk msemtd at yahoo.co.uk
Wed May 26 08:15:59 BST 2004

On Tuesday 25 May 2004 18:21, Charles Samuels wrote:

> KNewsTicker can be a Kicker (KDE's panel) applet, and, so if you create a
> "Child Panel" (Right click on the panel and look in the "Add" submenu of
> the popup), you can then add an KNewsTicker to this applet.  Kicker's
> configuration window will also let you make this a corner applet so it
> doesn't conceal the entire window.

BINGO! I just knew this had to be easy :)
I hadn't tried running knewsticker on the panel because I thought it would
have to run in the existing panel rather than a new one.

> Probably a bit easier than writing a program to set _NET_WM_STRUT_PARTIAL.

Too right (++)

> If you're going to use a window manager other than KWin, I would suggest
> first making sure that it claims to support KDE.

I doubt I'll be bothering with that now!

> - -Charles

Many, many thanks, Now a rhetorical question: "Why couldn't I work this out
for myself?" :)

Michael.