[Nottingham] Spam Filtering

Michael Simms michael at tuxgames.com
Thu May 27 01:29:34 BST 2004

On Thu, 2004-05-27 at 01:21, Martin wrote:
> [...]
>
> How about the disclaimer:
>
> NO Personal email will be received on this account from the following
> domains: Yahoo, Hotmail, Prontomail, Excite, AOL, Hotbot, BTInternet,
> mail.com, ANY Korean/Chinese/Japanese dotcom provider, email.com, or any
> other domain found to be involved either intentionally or otherwise to
> be handling the delivery of bulk unsolicited email ("spam"). I speak
> ENGLISH as a first and only language online and I DO NOT BUY ONLINE.
>

> (Seen on newsnet, (:-P))
> Martin

There is a nice system that if everyone used it would be really
effective, but it is a major drain on the receiver resources.

The system involves scoring a message as it comes in, byte by byte. As
the message gets scored lower and lower (if it is spam) the system slows
down its acceptance of the mail so that it can pause for whole minutes
or even hours between each byte, thus leaving the spammers send system
with a jammed open connection that from their end is indetectable from
lag.

That way all emails get received, but spammers have a harder time
spamming large groups of people and spam becomes a less viable system.

However it only works if everyone does it.

I read about it a year or so ago, it sounds like a good long term
solution to the problem, but requires a mass of adoption that I dont see
happening.
--
Michael Simms - CEO, Tux Games
http://www.tuxgames.com