[Nottingham] Mandrake 10.1 on LF DVD

Michael Leuty mike at leuty.net
Thu Nov 4 18:42:46 GMT 2004

On Wednesday 03 Nov 2004 23:58, Martin wrote:
> You are most likely suffering ACK packet starvation...

No, I was suffering from sheer ignorance.   ;-)

First I installed Azureus, which told me that although I was connecting
to peers I didn't have a remote connection ("yellow face" icon).

I had to add "6881/tcp" in the Advanced section of the Mandrake firewall
setup.

And I had to set up port redirection on the firewall in my ADSL
modem/router: TCP connections, outside port 6881, inside host
192.168.0.33.

This had me foxed at first. I don't really understand IP addressing and
so on. My router's internal IP address is 192.168.0.1, there is a DHCP
server which allocated 192.168.0.33 to my computer. That is the IP
number which seems to work, and I'm now downloading happily at around
70kB/s.

Within Azureus I set 22kB/s global max upload, being about 80% of my
1024/256 ADSL connection's upload capacity, to prevent ACK packet
starvation, as you kindly suggested.

I am now a little less ignorant and a happy bunny to boot.   :-)

--
Michael Leuty
Nottingham, UK