[Nottingham] Mandrake 10.1 on LF DVD (Bittorrent)

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Thu Nov 4 20:25:53 GMT 2004

Michael Leuty wrote:
[...]
> I had to add "6881/tcp" in the Advanced section of the Mandrake firewall
> setup.

Don't know what that will put in for you, 'cos I did it by manually
hacking /etc/shorewall/rules to include:

# For Bittorrent external access
ACCEPT  net             fw              tcp     6881:6899
ACCEPT  fw              net             tcp     6881:6899,6969,7070,8080
#

> And I had to set up port redirection on the firewall in my ADSL
> modem/router: TCP connections, outside port 6881, inside host
> 192.168.0.33.

Yep. That obviously works. You're just telling the ADSL box to forward
anything on its external recieving port 6881 to your box at 192.168.0.33
port 6881. It likely already lazyly lets everything internal get outwards.

I've got the others added to allow multiple torrents and also to work
around NTL's haphazard proxies.

[...]
> number which seems to work, and I'm now downloading happily at around
> 70kB/s.
[...]
> I am now a little less ignorant and a happy bunny to boot.   :-)

Good stuff (:-))

...Hey, can we have a WiFi hook-up into that for Fri and Sat?

Greens Mill Science Centre still uses carrier pigeons for it's high tech
comms link! (:-((

Have fun,

martin at ml1.co.uk