[Nottingham] Domain Locking

Simon Amor simon at leaky.org
Fri Nov 12 20:27:04 GMT 2004

Simon Huggins wrote:
> On Fri, Nov 12, 2004 at 09:19:18AM -0800, James Dobson wrote:
> > Although not strictly linux query it's still would be interesting to
> > hear other 'net' user's views on wether the latest craze of locking
> > .com/.net/.org is really just an excuse to make it harder to transfer
> > out your domain to another system?
>
> Well it will make it harder if you don't have access to unlock it.
>
> People like 123reg should have web interfaces to let you lock/unlock.

They do. It's been in the control panel for a while now and users are
encouraged to lock their domains to prevent being caught out by scams.

> > I've noticed that both 123-reg and Fasthosts are locking all there non
> > uk domains. Although I've not read the change in .com/.net/.org
> > transfers personally, it does seem odd that if 123-reg/Fasthosts are
> > correct it would mean that people could steal your .com/.net/.org.
> > Surely this would be a minefield for sueing the registra's joker,
> > tucows etc....

Latest announcement from 123-reg is as follows:
On 12th November ICANN will introduce a new policy designed to make
transfers of non-UK domain names between Registrars quicker and easier.
>From this date, if there is no acknowledgement from the domain
owner/admin contact within 5 days of a transfer request being made, the
transfer will automatically take place.

While a great step forward in ensuring domains can be freely
transferred by their owners, 123-Reg is concerned that this new system
could make it easier for your domain to be fraudulently transferred
away from 123-reg. We would like to reassure you that we are taking
steps to guard against this happening to you. From the 12th, therefore,
all your non-UK domains registered with us will be automatically locked
so that only you can unlock them and initiate a transfer.

The new system will not affect your ability to manage your domain in
the usual way, and will simply mean that should you wish to change name
servers or transfer a domain away from 123-reg you will first need to
unlock it. This can be done quite simply from your 123-reg Control
Panel.

As we will be unable to accept liability if you unlock your domain and
an unauthorised transfer results, we strongly advise that you make sure
domains are kept locked at all times except when absolutely necessary
to change name servers or initiate a transfer.

> I'm hoping it's going to make transfers in for us easier but it's true

>From what I understand, having a standard policy for registrar
transfers is supposed to make things like moving from Network Solutions
easier ;)

  Simon
Simon Amor        simon at leaky.org
PGP: 0xF318D5F3   http://shoe.bocks.com/