[Nottingham] Re: Next Meeting & CFC & general

Josh Lock incandescant at gmail.com
Mon Nov 22 22:20:00 GMT 2004

Hi all,

received at 20:16

On Mon, 2004-11-22 at 20:16 +0000, Martin wrote:
> Folks,
>
> [..]
>
> What do people want next?
> And at what level (beginner, noobie, user, expert, hack)?

User and Hack :)

> 1:
>
> I'm about to book for the next event:
>
> ###
>   01 Dec - Linux 'Fix-It' Evening
>
> Now is the time to make the Penguin work!
>
> Venue: Somewhere with lots of sockets!!! And easy parking to offload and
> reload kit.
>
> A chance to share and exchange ideas, problems, fixes, for anything and
> everything Linux. Or just bring along your hardware for expert help for
> installing Linux or whatever Open Source software.
> ###
>
> This is intended as an open free-for-all to exchange hands-on help or
> show off whatever is interesting. As with the awareness days, it may
> even descend into a mini lan-slaughter with Unreal Tournament 2004!
>
> Myself and Duncan(?) can bring along a switch or two for the lan.
>
> How many should we expect with machines?
> For: install, fixing, demo, show-off, or lan-wars?

Sounds fun, I'll be there with at least one machine even if it's all
working.

> 2:
[...]
> 4:
>
> My ideas for next talks:
>
> Jan 2005
>
> The nuts and bolts of Linux:
> Linux the OS and Linux Freedoms explained

This one sounds great!!

[..]

> Compiling your own customised kernel

.. As does this one...

> Network traffic and traffic control:
> How to speed up your surfing while maxed out
>
> Audio applications
>
> Image editing applications
>
> VoIP - Voice over IP
>
> Linux desktops &
> How to tweak your desktop
>
> Distros demos

And all of these

> ...Other ideas?
> What would people like to talk about/demonstrate?
> What would people like hear about?

Mainly things like setting up a custom kernel, tweaking your install etc

Everything you have planned sounds great Martin and I'm hoping to attend
more meetings in the new year!

Best

Josh