[Nottingham] Next Meeting & CFC & general

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Tue Nov 23 22:40:30 GMT 2004

Martin wrote:
> Folks,
>
> Time flies and there's much new stuff to try. There's Christmas soon
[---]
> Feb 2005 onwards
>
> Recent examples of Disaster Recovery on PC systems. What worked and what
> (still) didn't...
[---]

--- I seem to be on a good run with DR stuff (:-O)

I've recently had two disk crashes on various systems. One disk could be
excused after having been thrashed for 15000 hours. The other newish
drive died after a windows user accidentally did a drag'n'drop on 90GB
or so of small files across the same disk. Windows kept clicking away at
it for a few days before the Windows job was killed, the disk then died
on the next backup (:-((

Only one file lost that I know of. Unfortunately, a good few hours lost
thoroughly testing the backups (:-((

And I'm at it again!

Juggling disks and "lilo -v -C conf -b boot" is a most marvellous
incantation. What's more, its amazing how much of linux works when there
is only "/" and the rest of the disk is confused.

Phew! Time for another brew.

(:-P)

Meanwhile, it looks like we have critical mass for some good ungodly
linux debauchery. I'll update the web soon.

Re 'what next' and for the few good comments, thanks. Can we have a
little more feedback please for future linuxing, good or bad. Open
source? Its your group.

(:-))

(I was going to use triple-x but though conf and boot were more Godfry
safe (:-|)

martin at ml1.co.uk