[Nottingham] Small, old laptop - any options?

Joe Wrigley joe at wrigley.me.uk
Sun Oct 31 19:23:00 GMT 2004

512Mb HDD might be a bit of a squeeze for most full size distributions but
you can certainly install some form of Linux on there. My old gateway ran
Debian on a P75 with a 1GB disk. The RAM's a bit low, probably, but I had
various boot-from-floppy distributions working on my old Thinkpad with 4MB
of RAM and a 386 processor.

If it has a PCMCIA slot, you could probably put a network card in there,
Debian's installer certainly works with the one I use. I would suggest
maybe try out debian using the Sarge installer floppies (I seem to
remember I only needed two rather than Woody's 6) and if you can't fit it
on that disk then damn small linux or something similar.

Don't know if that's any use,

Joe