[Nottingham] Social This Wed

James Green jkg at jimbo.org.uk
Thu Sep 2 17:40:44 BST 2004

On Thu, Sep 02, 2004 at 06:50:55AM -0700, jdel wrote:

> i like the idea, i like the project.

Yay :)

> i'm not sure if this is something that you don't wanna hear, but have
> you seen leftlion.co.uk?  They're open for public submissions and all,
> but they're not techno or geekno-centric.  Really.

I hadn't seen it; looks interesting though.

> but, very seriously, i'm dying to know how you mate geographic
> coordinates a la mapquest with a database of addresses.  ok, poorly
> phrased, but my biggest question is HOW does that work?  I mean, how
> do you get a database of streets and addresses and whatever like that?

Manually, I'm afraid. That is, each person who puts a review up (or
often someone who comes along later) is finding out the location data[1],
address, postcode etc and putting them in manually.
http://openguides.org/mail/openguides-dev/2004-August/000493.html looks
like the start of something promising though, along with
http://openguides.org/mail/openguides-dev/2004-September/000495.html

There's still a huge problem getting good, Free data to map postcodes to
real locations though :(

Cheers,
James.

[1] Mmm. Must get a GPS unit...