[Nottingham] Re: Linux in Church Office anxiety state

Downes, David 02 david.downes02 at ntu.ac.uk
Mon Sep 6 19:10:33 BST 2004

  One problem I've found with OpenOffice is that certain MS Word =
documents do not import OK when using version 1.1.1, which is the =
version shipped with fedora core 2.  I've downloaded version 1.1.2 and =
it seems to be much better at importing Word documents.  However 1.1.2 =
crashes/freezes while loading MS Word documents with an install on =
fedora core 2 but works fine when installed on top of SUSE 8.2 (exactly =
the same install binaries/procedure in both cases)!  Not yet tried doing =
a compile of OpenOffice from source code to see if this solves the =
problem.

  I'd therefore suggest if possible you use OpenOffice 1.1.2 and test =
the installation by loading complex MS Word documents to make sure you =
don't have the same problems I've experienced, especially if using =
fedora core 2.

  Hope the above helps, if anyone else has had similar problems and =
recompiling OpenOffice solved them I'd like to know :-)

David