[Nottingham] Totem, KDE and Gnome configuration

David Aldred david at familyaldred.org.uk
Mon Sep 6 22:27:29 BST 2004

Hi, all, me again!

Slight problem with totem running under KDE.  On startup, it objects every
time that it can't
....."contact configuration server; some possible causes are that you need to
enable TCP/IP networking for ORBit, or you have stale NFS locks due to a
system crash".

It then goes on to work perfectly: even saving configuration changes, despite
making the same objection every time it's asked to save a change!

There are no filesystem problems reported on startup, and as for enabling
TCP/IP networking for ORBit, I really don't know what it's on about!

I tried starting Gnome to see if that would set something up and sort it out.
Gnome was a mess - it seemed to be creating windows wider than the monitor
and error message icons were coming up all over the place, but since there
seemed to be no working font (or possibly whatever was displayed was right
off the screen), I couldn't make anything of it.  This could well be a
related problem.

Any ideas?  It's an inconvenience rather than a real issue, but I'd like to
sort it out!

--
David Aldred