[Nottingham] Linux in the Office.

Michael Leuty mike at leuty.net
Tue Sep 7 17:56:56 BST 2004

On Tuesday 07 Sep 2004 08:46, Steve Dickman wrote:
> - people's understandable fear of something new
> - the misguided impression that they actually know how ms works!

My task has been made easier by the fact that our network of Win98/Win2k
PCs is plagued with problems (which I suspect are due to various forms
of malware, cracking, etc.) The current system is broken, so it's not
as if I'm trying to impose the solution to a problem that doesn't
exist.

> - the (again) misguided impression that support for Linux is more
> expensive - I find that this is caused by the fact that the CEO's
> nephew tends to maintain the SME's systems and thinks he knows ms,
> ".. in the land of the blind...".

In this case the conversion is being led by a partially sighted bloke
with some small experience of using Linux at home, and a Big Thick
Book.

> I have every sympathy with the
> secretaries in the Church deployment being nervous.

I shall sneak some Valium into their coffee.

> I am very interested in your experiences deploying Linux (and AMP)
> into small to medium business, from how to convince management to
> deploy and deployment issues you encountered.

I'll let the list know how I get on. Like Michael E, I have been in a
position to effectively made the decision myself. In the past I've
fixed a few computery things and given some helpful advice to various
people around the Church which has, pro tem, made me look expert to
inexpert people. Let's hope I (and the Big Thick Book) can deliver.

--
Michael Leuty
Nottingham, UK