[Nottingham] Linux in the Office.

Michael Erskine msemtd at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Sep 7 10:10:06 BST 2004

On Tuesday 07 September 2004 08:46, Steve Dickman wrote:

> I am very interested in your experiences deploying Linux (and AMP) into
> small to medium business, from how to convince management to deploy and
> deployment issues you encountered. I am also interested in replacement
> software that runs on Linux - such as a Visio equivalent, utilities
> (such as backup and restore) that are easy to use for users - i.e.
> desktop/browser UI - not shell.
>
> Steve

Quite often I find users addicted to a certain software feature: most of our
Visio (l|ab)users are only interested in pushing around icons in little
network diagrams. In light of threats from the BSA, I exported Visio's
network widgets (as a WMF) and created an OpenOffice Draw template. No more
Visio, no more licensing issues.

In my experience, the way to get users using opensource alternatives to
established products is to give it to them and let them get on with it. If
you're in my position (as an IT "decision-maker"), you can define company
policy based on the merits of free software: its free, it works, its secure
(YMMV!).

My advice to yourself, Steve, is to get familiar with the glossy end-user
Linux apps available out there - _BE_ a user. K3B is an app that springs to
mind as a Nero-killer: tried it for the first time the other day and was
mightily impressed with the user-friendliness. Also, I recently had some fun
demonstrating Blender to 3DStudio users (who are used to spending thousands
on licenses year-in, year-out).

Regards,
Michael.