[Nottingham] logging on to Gnome

Martin Garton martin at wrasse.demon.co.uk
Thu Sep 9 21:51:58 BST 2004

On Thu, 9 Sep 2004, Michael Leuty wrote:

> The computer was connected to the ADSL router with DHCP server during
> installation, and seems to have picked up a machine name of dhcppc2,
> this is what appears in the bottom right corner of the GSM log-in
> screen. Adding dhcppc2 to /etc/hosts has not helped.

Hmm. odd. I had the same problem once with my zyxel adsl modem. Its built
in dhcp server gives out addresses which its dns server can't resolve.
If you ask me, its an obvious omission in the routers firmware but what's
really puzzling is why adding it to /etc/hosts hasn't helped. That sure
fixed it for me.  (actually in the end I disabled the routers dhcp server
and set one up on another box that can resolve the names it gives out.)

--
Martin.