[Nottingham] Perl web automation question ref javascript:dt_p op

Robert Ross rross at dmu.ac.uk
Fri Sep 10 09:48:18 BST 2004

...well if you're bored I have a slight problemette...

I am trying to get sendmail and a backup cron job working on a Yellow Dog
server that I have 'inherited' with this job.  Both services have been
fiddled with by the previous 'owner' and I cannot find out where they're
broke.  I have been using Linux for about a year and have no scripting
experience.  Isn't this getting interesting.

Furthermore I am also behind a Uni firewall and have politely requested to
have port 25 opened, but I don't know if it has been yet.

Cron job first:
There are a few sites hosted on the server, (so port 80 is open) and I want
to ensure that they are backed up regularly, hence the cron job.  I have an
external HD on which to save the backups and have (eventually) discovered
that I needed to reformat it to ext3 (both server and HD were initially mac
OSX) and then partitioned it into 4 50 gig partitions.  I have mounted the
disk and it can be seen and written to manually, but even a simple script
doesn't work via cron.  In the cron log I get:
Sep  1 02:54:00 **** CROND[28109]: (root) CMD (/etc/backup.cron)
Sep  1 02:54:00 **** CROND[28108]: (root) MAIL (mailed 80 bytes of output
but got status 0x0047 )
And get a mail stating:
/usr/bin/run-parts: /etc/cron.hourly/backup.cron: /bin/sh: bad
interpreter: No such file or directory
Any ideas? Is it something blindingly obvious and I'm being incredibly
stupid?

With sendmail, it seems to be a problem with m4.  I have updated it with YUM
and found that a part of it was missing, downloaded and compiled that (I
think), and now need to see if it is working OK.

I have been slogging my way through all the man pages and following up leads
using google etc, but keep meeting dead ends, and I don't know if the
'fixes' I am implementing are actually working or not.

Fun huh.

Any help appreciated.

Robb

PS - Sorry for top posting only we are MS bound within the Uni - when I get
sendmail to work I can then go Linux :-)