[Nottingham] Linux in Church Office anxiety state

Michael Leuty mike at leuty.net
Fri Sep 10 22:11:57 BST 2004

On Sunday 05 Sep 2004 21:15, Michael Leuty wrote:
> My cunning plan is to set just one machine up as
> dual boot in the first place, so the staff can try out the desktop
> and see that the new software will (I hope) be easy to use and do the
> things which they need.

Things have not gone according to plan (do they ever), but so far so
good. Yesterday I backed up the data on the test machine (copied onto a
Win98 PC on the network) and used Partition Magic to free-up some space
on the hard disk. This fouled up, and I lacked the skill (or necessary
disks) to rescue or reinstall the Windows setup. So I ploughed on, and
installed Fedora Core 2 on the entire hard disk. The process took ages,
and I had particular difficulty getting Samba working (due to my
ignorance) in order to transfer the data back again. By the time I had
finished the staff had gone home.

This was definitely not the way to do it. I had left a Linux-only PC
without even working email, just OpenOffice and an attached printer. I
was unable to go in this morning to show the staff how it worked. I
just had a brief word with one of them on the phone, and said I would
ring again this evening to find out how they had got on. I said that if
they really didn't like it I would go back in tomorrow morning and
reinstall Windows.

Lo and behold, this evening I rang and was told that although the
secretary who uses that machine was very suspicious at first, she
actually likes it and finds that she can use it. She has a few
questions to ask me, but basically is happy to carry on using Linux.

Which I think must say a lot for the user-friendliness of Gnome. Mr
Ogley will not be too surprised, I imagine.

Let's hope I can answer all the questions!

(I hope you don't mind me reporting the progress of the project on this
list. It's not very techy, but it does describe a genuine attempt to
get Linux into wider use.)

--
Michael Leuty
Nottingham, UK