[Nottingham] k3b install, yum, gcc and libs

Robert Hart enxrah at nottingham.ac.uk
Thu Sep 16 11:28:31 BST 2004

On Thu, 16 Sep 2004, David Wolfson wrote:

> <aside> during this process I ended up rebooting the system a couple
> of times, which seem a little too microsoft for linux.  I know that in
> certain situations you can simply resart relavant services, but what
> if you don't know which ones to restart?  </aside>

I don't know about yum, but apt-get (on debian) will stop and restart each
service as needed when installing/upgrading packages. The same is not true
of user programs, so you may need to logout, or at least quit programs
like mozilla, that can behave erratically if the version on disk doesn't
match then one that's running.

You only ever need to reboot when you upgrade the kernel.

> So I got hold of, and ran 'libselinux-1.11.4-1.sh4.rpm', which said it
> needed 'libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.3.4)'.  After some googling I decided that
> thiwas a gcc library (and here I start to make it up a bit), and found
> it in /lib.  So as this didn't work I decided that it wanted one from
> gcc version 2.3.4.  I then (prehaps foolishly?) decied to get hold of
> said version of gcc.  Many hours of compling later (in /opt for want
> of a better place) #gcc --version says that I now have gcc 2.3.4.
> So, did this work?  Nope.

This is wrong. gcc and glibc are different (but perhaps related things).

gcc 2.3.4 is *old*, but I think glibc 2.3.4 is pretty cutting edge.

Also if you are trying to satisfy package dependencies, why are you
compiling stuff from source? Unless you are producing a package yourself,
and then installing that, yum is never going to know that you have now
provided this.

> I'm now at a bit of a loss, and have pretty much exhusted adivce from
> googling.  Any ideas please?  It's not critical to get k3b up and
> running, but I've got a long way to sorting it out and would like to
> finish it off.

As others have hinted, it sounds like the repository you are trying to
get k3b from is not based on RH9, but on fedora. As these have different
versions of glibc (which is a pretty central component of the system), it
may be easier to build k3b from source, or find somewhere else to get it
from.

Rob

Remember: You are unique - just like everybody else.