[Nottingham] Re: DISTRO advise

Steve Caddy steve.m.caddy at ntlworld.com
Sat Sep 18 02:05:42 BST 2004

> This seems to be a question that goes around us newbies a lot, and
> I have to say is one of the more difficult things to get past when
> 'upgrading' from windows.
>
> 'Which distro?'.

This is a question I've been asking since support for RH9 ended.

On Tuesday night, my RH9 box, which for some time had been playing the
role of file server, reached capacity on one of its discs. Since I was
going to have to back up and shuffle data around anyway, I took the
plunge to re-install, and quite randomly picked out suse 9.1.

All I can say is... I like what I see. YaST is a mature installation
program, and the whole transition from RH to suse has been quite painless.
Best of all, the install (for the personal edition) is on one iso, then
after install you can point YaST at the ftp site for the professional
edition to upgrade and add software that you want.

I've ben using RH since 1997, and I still consider myself a newbie
(ok, I've compiled a kernel once or twice, but it's not something I
can do without reading my copy of Sobell a few times).

That's just my experience though.

Steve

--
"Hardware - the part of the computer you kick when the software fails"
Email: steve.m.caddy at ntlworld.com