[Nottingham] Re: DISTRO advise

David Aldred david at familyaldred.org.uk
Sat Sep 18 19:27:25 BST 2004

On Saturday 18 Sep 2004 02:05, Steve Caddy wrote:
> > This seems to be a question that goes around us newbies a lot, and
> > I have to say is one of the more difficult things to get past when
> > 'upgrading' from windows.
> >
> > 'Which distro?'.

I used Mandrake from an early stage, not because of any real in-depth
investigation of the options, but because there was someone nearby who could
help!

Honestly, I think that's probably the most important thing for any one new to
linux to find: support.  Windows is pretty horrible in many ways, but it does
tend to automate setups and talk you through things; Linux by and large
doesn't.

Having just today changed to broadband, I used the Windows broadband setup
from NTLWorld - simply because I had no idea what the 'other end' would need
feeding to it during the setup process.  Loads of faffing around involved
(two restarts, five minutes downloading a software package I hadn't asked for
and didn't want, several "this may take a few minutes" long silences).  Now
Linux would probably have taken me just as long (had I known what needed
feeding to the server), but I would have had some idea of what was going on.

That perhaps indicates the change of attitude which develops: from 'do it for
me' to 'tell me what I need to know to do it myself'.  The problem is, of
course, that you have to find someone to tell you - and that's why I say that
someone to help out when needed, and preferably a whole LUG to do so, are
probably more important than distro.

Sometime soon, I might well try another distro on the laptop which started all
this....

--
David Aldred