[Nottingham] Re: DISTRO advise

Simon Osborne flibblesan at coconutsmusume.co.uk
Sat Sep 18 21:39:24 BST 2004

David Aldred wrote:

>Having just today changed to broadband, I used the Windows broadband setup
>from NTLWorld - simply because I had no idea what the 'other end' would need
>feeding to it during the setup process.  Loads of faffing around involved
>(two restarts, five minutes downloading a software package I hadn't asked for
>and didn't want, several "this may take a few minutes" long silences).  Now
>Linux would probably have taken me just as long (had I known what needed
>feeding to the server), but I would have had some idea of what was going on.

To be completely honest, and you may have found this out, ntl broadband
requires very little in the way of setup.
You just need to make sure your ethernet adapter is set to obtain an IP
from a DHCP server (usually default).
Then open a browser and type http://autoreg.autoregister.net/ and follow
the prompts to register your cable modem and setup the service.
When you setup the email it will give you the server details you need
which are easy to enter into Evolution etc.

This might be useful for someone :)

Simon