[Nottingham] New Fedora install

lists at voila.fr lists at voila.fr
Mon Sep 20 20:47:04 BST 2004

All,

Just got Fedora Core 2 up and running. Only had to configure the monitor by hand so I'm impressed with the install. I like the default Desktop Environment as well, clean, fast and easy to use.

But I've some questions for those Fedora experts on the list - I shall RTFMs but wanted advice first.

Can one mix using yum and apt? Or should I just stick with yum?

In yum.conf I've only got one server :

http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/$releasever/$basearch/os/

How do I get others to choose from? (is there netselect for yum like there is for apt)

up2date has found several packages that need updating - can this be trusted? Should I do one at a time?

Installing new software (like Firefox or OpenOffice) thats in testing - any experiences? Does one have to do the equivalent to a dist-upgrade?

Finally up2date recommends a newer kernel. I've had troubles in the past with NVidia and installing another kernel - recommendations / nightmares / results.

Regards,

Matt