[Nottingham] Mail? and services hardening

Peter Taffs ptaffs at btinternet.com
Fri Sep 24 07:56:53 BST 2004

It also gives something else to think about with security and
firewalls, any service like mail (is sendmail the old version?) on a
network computer makes it more vulnerable, so if the box is on the
internet you'll want to make sure you keep it fully patched.
Alternatively have a firewall protecting the service from the internet.
My firm's hardening standards require that mail and any other
"unnecessary" service is not started.

Peter