[Nottingham] New Fedora install

Darren Fuller darren.fuller at ntlworld.com
Fri Sep 24 20:25:31 BST 2004

Written using Thunderbird on Fedore Core 2.
Free from additives, preservatives, "e" numbers and annoying
little people who insist on buggering up perfectly good
computers with MS Windows.

Fedora - http://fedora.redhat.com
Thunderbird - http://www.mozilla.org/products/thunderbird/

lists at voila.fr wrote:

>All,
>
>Just got Fedora Core 2 up and running. Only had to configure the monitor by hand so I'm impressed with the install. I like the default Desktop Environment as well, clean, fast and easy to use.
>
>But I've some questions for those Fedora experts on the list - I shall RTFMs but wanted advice first.
>
>Can one mix using yum and apt? Or should I just stick with yum?
>
>In yum.conf I've only got one server :
>
>http://download.fedora.redhat.com/pub/fedora/linux/core/$releasever/$basearch/os/

I'd stick with yum personally, but that's my preference.  With regards
to your config file you can always try out the Fedora Tracker project
(http://www.fedoratracker.org/), there is even one there for Mozilla :)

>How do I get others to choose from? (is there netselect for yum like there is for apt)
>
>up2date has found several packages that need updating - can this be trusted? Should I do one at a time?

I found it took several attempts to get all the updates installed after
a clean install but it's worth it to keep on top of security issues,
eventually I broke the downloads into smaller groups of files at any one
time.

>Installing new software (like Firefox or OpenOffice) thats in testing - any experiences? Does one have to do the equivalent to a dist-upgrade?

I installed firefox and thunderbird before anything else and have had no
problems with either of them.

>Finally up2date recommends a newer kernel. I've had troubles in the past with NVidia and installing another kernel - recommendations / nightmares / results.

The newer 2.6.8-1 kernel has a couple of bugs in it, one of which will
prevent you from burning CD's as a normal user but you can still run it
as root which I'm not keen on doing.  There is also a problem with
Kudzu, there should be an update to download with all the others but in
my experience if I need to use my scanner I need to unplug the USB cable
and then put it back in again before it will enable me to scan as a
normal user.

Other than that I've found Fedora to be a very stable and usable distro,
I was using Mandrake before and it is really a shock the amount of
things is just does for you.  One such thing was my USB flash drive, I
use to just plug it in and use it, with Fedora I had to write the entry
into the /etc/fstab file myself, which personally I think is great as
I'm getting to find out more about Linux without throwing myself in at
the deep end with a distro like Debian.

Have fun