[Nottingham] Bibliographic software

Johannes Kling jok at printk.net
Mon Sep 27 13:23:59 BST 2004

Hello,

> [Snip: Ode to LaTeX]

LaTeX's lovely for many things, including references, but a warning is
in order: it requires a fair amount of getting used to to become
proficient in it, as well as either frequent trips to the library or
an investment in The LaTeX Companion; web tutorials beyond The Not So
Short Introduction To LaTeX are, in my experience, near useless and
pretty difficult to find.

That said, the investment of time is definitely worth it, though, as a
usually a cobbled up LaTeX document still looks significantly better
than even a well done document produced by OOo, MS Word or other
WYSIWIG editors of their ilk. (Before somebody accuses me of trolling:
it is possible to produce good documents with MS Word etc, but, like
BASIC, it encourages the user not to).

Regards,
  Johannes

--
 Nothing is impossible for the man who doesn't have to do it himself.
                -- A.H. Weiler