[Nottingham] Nvidia, GLX and Direct Rendering Problems.

Peter Chang Peter.Chang at nottingham.ac.uk
Fri Apr 1 16:09:34 BST 2005

On Fri, 1 Apr 2005, Dalkus wrote:

> Robert Hart wrote:
>
> >You also need to make sure X is configured to use the right driver, and
> >that you have the nvidia kernel module installed.
> >

> I took a closer look at my xorg.conf and tried changing the "nv" setting
> to "nvidia" which resulted in X dying after reloading and displaying a
> message explaining that X could not be started because of a
> configuration error. Changing the setting back to nv fixed this.

Please read the documentation that comes with the packages. The NVIDIA
driver packages comes with several components: kernel module, X server
plugin modules and GLX (wrapper) libraries. You need to modify your X
config file as follows (if your Ubuntu disto's package doesn't do so
already).

1) Driver "nv" => Driver "nvidia"

2) ensure you have a Load "glx"

3) remove Load "dri" and Load "GLcore" (by commenting them out or deleting
them).

hth,
 Peter