[Nottingham] Capturing SPDIF input to disk

Duncan John Fyfe djf at star.le.ac.uk
Wed Aug 3 08:19:40 BST 2005

On Tue, 2005-08-02 at 23:57 +0100, James Gibbon wrote:
> Anyone know of a soundcard / software combination that can be
> used to record from the SPDIF (digital) output from my DAB tuner,
> preferably to WAV files so I can edit them easily using Audacity
> before burning?
>
> I know a few soundcards have SPDIF inputs, coaxial and/or optical,
> but I don't know if any of them work well, if at all, with Linux
> in that respect. Any ideas?
>
> At the moment I record to CDRW using a standalone burner; then
> transfer to disk using cdparanoia. Would be nice to simplify the
> process a bit.

Not sure about SPDIF but (assuming your DAB is already connected to your
soundcard) I use vsound (and ALSA OSS compatability) to capture sound
for those occasions where it arrives by funny means (eg  realplayer).

I believe there are non-OSS ways of doing similar things with ALSA but
this way works for me ATM.

"vsound allows you to record the output of any standard OSS program (one
that uses /dev/dsp for sound) without having to modify or recompile the
program."

> Thanks,
> James

Have fun,