[Nottingham] dealing with rar files in Linux

Matt Bunter matt.bunter at wanadoo.fr
Tue Aug 9 16:52:13 BST 2005

Robert Hart wrote:

>Are you sure the file is kosher, and that the filesystem you are trying
>to write to is not full/readonly?
>
>what does
>file filename.rar
>say it is?
>
>Where did the rar file come from? could you not download a less
>proprietary version?

Kosher, maybe not - halal maybe.

Output from file :

meacs oracle docs.rar: RAR archive data, v1d, os: Win32

/home has 15G, I've used 8G so far, so space shouldn't be a problem.

I'm trying to do this with Linux when the rar was created on Windows. I
do know that the rar has several Word files in it.

Maybe that's the whole problem ?!?!

I'll just have to get it onto my Windows laptop and see what happens.

Matt