[Nottingham] dealing with rar files in Linux

Simon Amor simon at leaky.org
Tue Aug 9 22:29:49 BST 2005

On 9 Aug 2005, at 16:47, Matt Bunter wrote:
> Kosher, maybe not - halal maybe.
>
> Output from file :
>
> meacs oracle docs.rar: RAR archive data, v1d, os: Win32
>
> /home has 15G, I've used 8G so far, so space shouldn't be a problem.
>
> I'm trying to do this with Linux when the rar was created on
> Windows. I do know that the rar has several Word files in it.
>
> Maybe that's the whole problem ?!?!
>
> I'll just have to get it onto my Windows laptop and see what happens.

What does "unrar t filename.rar" give? (test archive)

What version of unrar are you trying to use? I've got unrar 3.00
freeware (just typing unrar with no parameters should give the
version at the top of the help info). I found I was having problems
extracting some of the more recent rar files using version 2.x and
moving to 3.0 fixed the problem. I don't remember the exact error
message I was getting though.

file on a rar file I have lying around (which extracts fine using
3.00) says:

RAR archive data, v14, os: Win32

I don't think it matters whether the original file came from a
Windows machine or a Linux one.

     Simon
--
Simon Amor