[Nottingham] dealing with rar files in Linux

Matt Bunter matt.bunter at wanadoo.fr
Wed Aug 10 17:01:40 BST 2005

> What does "unrar t filename.rar" give? (test archive)
>
> What version of unrar are you trying to use? I've got unrar 3.00
> freeware (just typing unrar with no parameters should give the
> version at the top of the help info). I found I was having problems
> extracting some of the more recent rar files using version 2.x and
> moving to 3.0 fixed the problem. I don't remember the exact error
> message I was getting though.

I'm using Kubuntu (Debian based distro) and did a simple :

aptitude update
aptitude install unrar

On my system now is what appears to be a VERY old 0.0.1-1 version of unrar

> file on a rar file I have lying around (which extracts fine using
> 3.00) says:
>
> RAR archive data, v14, os: Win32
>
> I don't think it matters whether the original file came from a
> Windows machine or a Linux one.

Now, without breaking everything (no suggestions to do a dist-upgrade
please) how would one get version 3 - or even 2 for that matter.

Matt