[Nottingham] was Planet NottsLUG now patently isn't

Robert Postill robert at grinning-cat.com
Wed Aug 10 20:24:06 BST 2005

>On Wed, 2005-08-10 at 11:44 +0100, Roger Light wrote:
>

>>Any chance of more details for the website and the curious?

I don't know about you but every *really* vitriolic article linked from
/. or Linuxtoday is either SCO or source code related check out the gems
below if you're unfamiliar:
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2005/04/14/torvalds_attacks_tridgell/
http://osdir.com/Article1687.phtml
Source Code Management (SCM) engenders the type of loyalty people used
to have for vi and emacs (I go misty eyed sometimes for a proper flame
war about that) but why?  Well there are many reasons but the two that I
think matter most to us as a LUG are:
* If you develop software/documents/websites then it's a tool you use as
frequently as an editor.
* Open source and its ideals of sharing depend on being able to
effectively transmit the changes in a project from one contributor to
another, SCM is the "killer app" of sharing change.
So on a whirlwind (no freak weather events included, sorry) tour of SCM
we'll talk about:
SCM context: what it is
SCM approaches: file vs patch
RCS and VSS - wrinkly SCM
CVS and Subversion - for all you prospective sourceforge junkies.
git and arch - patching and proud

Hope that gives a flavor.
Robert.