[Nottingham] dealing with rar files in Linux

David Luff David.Luff at nottingham.ac.uk
Wed Aug 10 17:20:31 BST 2005

On 10/08/2005 at 17:56 Matt Bunter wrote:

>I'm using Kubuntu (Debian based distro) and did a simple :
>
>aptitude update
>aptitude install unrar
>
>On my system now is what appears to be a VERY old 0.0.1-1 version of unrar
>

>> file on a rar file I have lying around (which extracts fine using
>> 3.00) says:
>>
>> RAR archive data, v14, os: Win32
>>
>> I don't think it matters whether the original file came from a
>> Windows machine or a Linux one.
>
>Now, without breaking everything (no suggestions to do a dist-upgrade
>please) how would one get version 3 - or even 2 for that matter.

You can mix and match the occasional testing/unstable package with a
stable/testing system by keeping a mixed system, following the instructions
at:

http://www.debian.org/doc/manuals/apt-howto/ch-apt-get.en.html#s-default-ver
sion

It can work quite well for the odd simple package, but if the dependencies
are awkward it might get too gruesome to consider.  You'll soon know when
it tells you how much other stuff needs to be installed/removed before
confirming.

Cheers - Dave