[Nottingham] Server software query

Java Lynx javalynx at email.com
Thu Aug 11 19:10:08 BST 2005

Hi one and all. I am newbie to the Linux scene, and to seeking help on here although I have been reading the lists for a few months now.

My general experience has been in supporting MS pc's in my former job. Being brainwahsed in the MS religion for a number of years, I have taken steps to remedy this by trying to learn how to use Linux (still in the early stages at the mo so you will have to bare with me).  I have a little experience in getting versions of Server sw offered by MS to work but I would really like your recomendations on what Linux Server sw I should have a go at first, meaning easiest to set up. I only want to store documents, my settings (hopefully staying the same whichever pc I log in from - don't ask) and the ability to add a few other users as necessary. Pretty basic stuff I feel, but most of the Linux OS options have a server capability from my understanding. I have Ubuntu installed on my basic laptop (basic install) and I quite like it so would like keep that as the desktop of choice for the mo. I haven't found a decent 'How TO Set UP A Server...' for Ubuntu as yet but I have only just started looking. I thought I would get the opinions of the group first before I lose precious time possibly looking in the wrong place.

So, as a summary of my query, will Ubuntu suffice as a basis for the server I am looking to build? Is there a Linux/server sw option that will work ok with Ubuntu or am I leaping off a steep cliff and need to start from a less difficult prospective? I am all eyes/ears.

Sorry for the long post but thought I would give a little background. Thanks in advance.