[Nottingham] any issues symlinking /tmp -> /var/tmp ?

Michael perl at tecspy.com
Sun Aug 14 10:00:22 BST 2005

Graeme Fowler wrote:
> "religious" arguments aside. no, not really. Especially if you mount
> /var with the "noexec" option - a good idea against random executables,
> barring someone running:
>
> /lib/ld-<ver>.so <binary>
>
> For those who haven't seen that before, it's a deadly sneaky way of
> running executables on partitions with the noexec flag set :)

Good idea!

> Commercially, a number of distributions have shipped with /tmp as a
> symlink to somewhere else. In my experience the obvious one is the now
> defunct CobaltOS, shipped with the RaQ, Qube and other appliances;
> Cobalt symlinked /tmp and /var/tmp to /home/tmp for reasons of space
> (not security).

Yes, I've symlinked /tmp to ramdisk on a few embedded projects

> In my experience it's a good way to work around a repeating problem if
> you have duff web scripts filling up /tmp with (say) PHP uploads. But if
> you have that problem you can always recompile PHP (or whatever else) to
> use a different temp path in the first place :)
>
> What particular reasons do you have for / filling up so quickly? Again,
> in my experience this indicates poor system design somewhere (no offence
> intended).

Yup, poor system design! When I manually partitioned some time back I
gave the /boot, /var, and /usr partitions too much space and didn't give
/home in its own partition so / fills when users (i.e. me!) do something
requiring a large amount of space. It's something I have meant to fix
for a while - probably moving /home to /usr/home would do it but I don't
want to interrupt the process that urgently requires the disk space so
I'm looking for quick temporary patch up jobs to make some space. I
guess I'll have to kill a bunch of processes to free up /tmp anyway!

Regards,
Michael Erskine