[Nottingham] Gentoo/Gnome/X permissions

Steve Caddy steve.m.caddy at ntlworld.com
Mon Aug 15 00:22:28 BST 2005

Tonight, I've found myself in the odd position of having to reset the
desktop settings for all the users (only about 20 of them) on a Gentoo
box (needed to turn off displaying mounted drives on the gnome
desktop - mainly because most users don't have permission to access
them anyway).

The way I thought I'd do it was to su to root, and then su to each
user in turn, and run gconf-editor as that user. Sadly, this is where
my plan falls down - the other users don't seem to have permission to
connect to my X session.

Any ideas on how to get around this? I tried xhost + but that didn't
help.

Steve

PS In the end, I manually hacked the config file in ~/.gconf/... for
each user, but I'd rather not do that again!

--
"Hardware - the part of the computer you kick when the software fails"
Email: steve.m.caddy at ntlworld.com