[Nottingham] Gentoo/Gnome/X permissions

Andy Davidson andy at nosignal.org
Mon Aug 15 12:38:53 BST 2005

Steve Caddy wrote:
> The way I thought I'd do it was to su to root, and then su to each
> user in turn, and run gconf-editor as that user. Sadly, this is where
> my plan falls down - the other users don't seem to have permission to
> connect to my X session.

WARNING: UGLY

Backup each user's ~/.Xauthority file, copy over the top the .Xauthority
file of the user you're running X as on top of the original one for each
user, and then 'su -' to that user and run the command.

The .Xauthority file contains a reference to a magic cookie that the X
server will use to determine whether the user wanting to run the
software in an open X session is the same as the user holding that X
session open.

Might work !

-a

--