[Nottingham] On Holiday!

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Fri Aug 19 01:03:58 BST 2005

Michael Simms wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-08-18 at 23:19 +0100, Martin wrote:
>
>>Top posting;
>
> I prefer top posting by far! Why would I want to scroll to the bottom of
> a mail instead of seeing the content as I open it?
>
> Bottom posting is a legacy of typed or written letters when it 'had to
> be that way' - I propose an immediate banning of the concept!

OK, so your headers claim that you are using something other than MS-OE,
even if it is claiming "Evolution" of all things! Hence, the obtuseness
must be deliberate.

So, to quote an often quoted quote:

A: Because it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: Why is top-posting such a bad thing?
A: Top-posting.

- Newsnet post

Are you confident that you appear to be professional in your
electronic communication? Consider this:
     A: No
     Q: Can I top post?

- Newsnet post

There are two ways of constructing a software design. One way is to make
it so simple that there are obviously no deficiencies. And the other way
is to make it so complicated that there are no obvious deficiencies.
- C.A.R. Hoare

Ooops... Sorry, that last one slipped in also ;)

At least we seem to agree on mid-posting.

>>Not trimming the quoted text;
> Well, I cant disagree there
>
>>Uselessly including all the quoted text in the first place!
> Isnt that the same thing {:-)

Nope. Different emphasis.

I should also have included his using inappropriate case for Proper
Nouns. I'm sure he's guilty of lots more of heinousness also.

>>All after the laziness of the miss-configured vacation script!!
> Ahh well, I cant talk can I *coughs at his spam catcher*

Mmmm, yes. I still get reminded about certain of your blacklisted mails
getting dumped...

>>OK folks, democratic decision:
>>
>>Does he get the thumbs up, thumbs level, or thumbs down?
>>(Or do we decide after we get the aforementioned free beer?)
>
> I think he gets the thumbs up cos I only want a coke {:-)

OK, so you're after the free drink from favouritism?!

martin at ml1.co.uk