[Nottingham] Booting Headless

Joe Wrigley joe at wrigley.me.uk
Fri Aug 19 08:33:18 BST 2005

Chris Dawson wrote:
> Roger thanks
>
> The proposed scenario is based on 'how I do it now'
> The idea is just to put the PC in a remote part of the building and still
> have access to it through the GUI. I tend to use this machine as a test
> machine to help me learn more about Linux but I'm running out of floor space
> :-)

I would suggest you look at NoMachine NX. I've been playing with it at
home and I can run a full Gnome desktop very responsively over ADSL. I
sometimes forget which machine I'm running on. It does much more clever
caching than VNC and is in general a lot quicker. It also inherently
tunnels over ssh.

There is a howto here:

http://fedoranews.org/contributors/rick_stout/freenx/

Hope that helps,