[Nottingham] Booting Headless

David Wolfson eaxdrw at nottingham.ac.uk
Fri Aug 19 10:14:44 BST 2005

Chris,

> > Roger thanks
> > The idea is just to put the PC in a remote part of the building and still
> > have access to it through the GUI.

> Joe Wrigley wrote:
> I would suggest you look at NoMachine NX.
 As I'm doing a lot of remote work, and had not heard of NX, I followed the
link joes gave and in next to no time had FreeNX running from madrake - RH9
'cross-country'. It's great. Really great.

I gooled NX and read a couple of the linux journal articles and so far it
seems worthy of the praise it gets there. From what I understand it only uses
SSH tunneling, and is far quicker than full X clients I've used before.
There's not as much info on it, but I'm now off to see if I can get it to
connect to a winXP rdp session...

Thanks to Joe for putting me on to a really good bit of OSS,

Dave