[Nottingham] A Linux Christmas Webcam

Martin martin at ml1.co.uk
Fri Dec 16 16:59:44 GMT 2005

Folks,

What's a good current usb webcam that is supported by the 2.6.x series
kernels?

Preferably 300k+ pixels, colour, and microphone...

(OK, so I've upgraded some of the family onto broadband... :-) )

Are there any webcams that offer 1024x768?

There's the lists at:
http://www.linux-usb.org/devices.html
but it looks like only the old stuff is on there... And a certain large
manufacturer has replied:

"We regret to inform you that xxx Computer Products are generally
developed for use with Windows® operating systems only,  and therefore
no drivers or installation instructions for Linux operating systems are
provided. Nor is in fact the use of our products with Linux in any way
supported."

What can someone recommend please?
And what's the image quality like?

Thanks,