[Nottingham] SUSE linux 10 and a wireless LAN - help?

Godfrey Nix godfrey at gnnix.co.uk
Mon Dec 19 21:40:30 GMT 2005

Hi,

I have just been asked by a friend to help with a new SUSE installation
he has set up on his computer. It is now dual Windows/SUSE 10 booting.
The problem is the wireless lan connection. How do I configure it and
how to check the configuration is working? (Apart from ping, which does
not reply).

My friend has the settings from his card (through looking at the
settings in Windows) and the settings of the Linksys wireless hub (from
his son, who set up the hub. We have gone through YAST and put in the
settings - apart from channel number which I cannot see how to enter in
Yast. We do not know whether the hub is ad hoc or managed, so I tried
with both and neither worked.

I have tried looking in howto pages from google but it has not helped so
far.

Any hints and pointers will be welcome.
--
Godfrey Nix <godfrey at gnnix.co.uk>