[Nottingham] SUSE linux 10 and a wireless LAN - help?

John Cremona john.cremona at gmail.com
Tue Dec 20 21:31:37 GMT 2005

A different question but on the same thread:  I am thinking of adding
wireless to the home network and have a specific question before going
out to buy kit.

Current setup:  NTL cable modem connects to network card#1 on main PC
(SuSE 9.3) which acts as router/firewall and local DHCP server.  Main
PC's network card#2 connects to a 4-way ethernet switch/hub.  All
other machines connect to one of the ports on that.  (This includes a
linux laptop, a W-XP laptop (depending on who's home) and a W95
desktop (a Dell bought in 1998 and still going strong).

Now suppose I get a wireless acess point box (something like Linksys
WAP54g, but I am open to suggestions) so that the main PC can also
serve the other machines wirelessly.  I guess that must plug into an
ethernet port somewhere.

So here's the question:  do I (a) plug the WAP directly onto main PC,
requiring a 3rd network card on that to be bought and configured;  or
(b) could I plug the WAP into a spare socket on the existing wired
hub?  If both would work, is one better than the other?

I hope the question makes sense and I have included all relevant
details.  Any theories?

John Cremona

PS I was also going to answer the NTL setup question, as I did the
same thing in October quite successfully, but several other people got
in before me!