[Nottingham] O'Reilly UK User Group Programme NEWSLETTER Issue 17-05

Michael Erskine perl at tecspy.com
Wed Dec 21 17:42:11 GMT 2005

All,

Find enclosed the latest O'Reilly User Group Newsletter. Take note: we
owe Josette some book reviews!

BTW: we now have a better online ordering service with O'Reilly allowing
our members to buy titles at discount - details to follow when I find them!

Regards,
Michael Erskine.

O'Reilly UK User Group Programme
NEWSLETTER
Issue 17-05

Within a week, this newsletter will be available to be downloaded in pdf
format from the Developers Group web site at
<http://www.richplum.co.uk/oreilly/1705.pdf>.  You are welcome to create
a link to it for your members' use. Previous newsletters are available at -
<http://www.richplum.co.uk/oreilly/1605.pdf>
<http://www.richplum.co.uk/oreilly/1505.pdf>
<http://www.richplum.co.uk/oreilly/1405.pdf>
<http://www.richplum.co.uk/oreilly/1305.pdf>
<http://www.richplum.co.uk/oreilly/1205.pdf>
<http://www.richplum.co.uk/oreilly/1105.pdf>

Our aim is to have both formats available at the same time, but that
might take us a little longer.

HIGHLIGHTS

NEWS FROM O'REILLY AND BEYOND
-Reader Created Tagged Bibliography for "Ambient Findability"
-eBay Developer Challenge 2006
-Attention Span
-Time Management on Google Video
-User Group Members receive a special 50% discount on Learning
  Lab Courses--Ends December 31
-Through Project Looking Glass with Hideya Kawahara
-Managing TV with XMLTV
-MacVoices #515: Home Networking with Scott Lowe
-Managing MySQL on Mac OS X
-What Is Virtualization?
-Identifying Essential Windows Services: Part 2
-Work Around Word XP's AutoCorrect Change
-Hibernate Class Generation Using hbm2java
-Lightweight O/R Mapping
-Five Fun Ways to Play with Audio Hijack Pro
-Introduction to the Variations Color Correction Tool in Photoshop
-Meet Your Fellow Makers
-MAKE Flickr
-Give the Gift of MAKE Magazine--Special Offer for UG Members
BOOK NEWS
- Books for review
- Coming soon
CONFERENCE NEWS
YOUR BOOK REVIEWS
YOUR NEWS

NEWS FROM O'REILLY AND BEYOND

---------------------
General News
---------------------
***Reader Created Tagged Bibliography for "Ambient Findability" Livia
Labate has taken "Ambient Findability's" bibliography ("Ambient
Findability" is Peter Morville's highly readable and provocative book
on, well, findability), entered the URL of each entry into her page at
del.icio.us, and tagged each "ambientfindability," thus making the
bibliography entries more ambiently findable. For example, you'll notice
that 13 other people have bookmarked Gene Smith's "Beyond the Page,"
making it a good jumping off point to amble findably through related
works. [Tags: tagging taxonomy PeterMorville AmbientFindability
EverythingIsMiscellaneous]
<http://www.hyperorg.com/blogger/mtarchive/tagged_bibliography.html>

***eBay Developer Challenge 2006
eBay and O'Reilly are sponsoring a coding contest for applications built
on eBay web services: the eBay Developer Challenge 2006. This contest
encourages the development of great tools that the eBay community will
love. Winners will be announced at the O'Reilly Emerging Technology
Conference in San Diego in March.
<http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/network/2005/12/05/ebay-developer-challenge-2006.html>

***Attention Span
Are you paying full attention to anything you do these days? Probably
not. Whether at work or at home, you probably are distracted by email,
IM, the telephone, the television, and countless other distractions. We
begin this podcast with Linda Stone talking about Continuous Partial
Attention from her SuperNova address "Your Attention Please." Paul
Graham compares amateurs and professionals in his OSCON keynote "What
Business Can Learn from Open Source." We respond to a listener comment
on a story we ran last week and conclude with Ernie Prabhakar on open
source from infancy to adulthood. (DTF 008 beta: 24 minutes, 30 seconds,
13.9MB)
<http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/network/2005/12/12/distributing-the-future.html>

***Time Management on Google Video
Tom Limoncelli recently produced a 45-minute video that highlights many
of the techniques in his new book, "Time Management for System
Administrators."
<http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/wlg/8630>

***User Group Members receive a special 50% discount on Learning
Lab Courses--Ends December 31
As an O'Reilly User Group member, you save on all the courses in the
following University of Illinois Certificate Series:
-Linux/Unix System Administration
-Web Programming
-Open Source Programming
-.NET Programming
-Client-Side

This offer ends December 31st, 2005.  To redeem, use Promotion Code
"ORALL1" to save 50%. Each course comes with a free O'Reilly book and a
7-day money-back guarantee. Register online:
<http://learninglab.oreilly.com/>

---------------------
Open Source
---------------------
***Through Project Looking Glass with Hideya Kawahara
3D has taken over video gaming. When will it take over mundane computing
areas such as file managers, word processors, and desktop environments?
Maybe soon, if Hideya Kawahara and the Project Looking Glass team have
their way. John Littler explores the ideas, implementations, and
possibilities of 3D interfaces in this interview.
<http://www.linuxdevcenter.com/pub/a/linux/2005/12/08/project_looking_glass.html>

***Managing TV with XMLTV
XMLTV is a set of open source utilities for working with television
schedules. It's not just for people building their own PVRs,
though--with a little cleverness, you can build your own schedule
applications. Brian Murray shows how he manages his family's
entertainment time.
<http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2005/12/08/xmltv.html>

---------------------
Mac
---------------------
***MacVoices #515: Home Networking with Scott Lowe
Scott Lowe, author of the "Home Networking: The Missing Manual" talks
with Chuck Joiner about the benefits and logistics of creating a home
network. Why would you want one? What are your options? What are the
pros and cons of each? Scott talks about wireless, Ethernet and
Powerline, how to choose, and what you can do with them once they are
set up.
<http://www.macvoices.com/archives/2005/515.html>

***Managing MySQL on Mac OS X
There are myriad ways to control and manipulate information on a MySQL
server--some are stand-alone GUI apps, some are web-based, and of course
the venerable (and powerful) command-line option is always available.
Robert Daeley shows some of the most useful tools.
<http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/mac/2005/12/13/mysql.html>

---------------------
Windows/.NET
---------------------
***What Is Virtualization?
Virtualization lets you have multiple "virtual machines," each with its
own operating system running in a sandbox, shielded from each other, all
in one physical machine. But why would you want to do this? Wei-Meng Lee
explains, and takes you on a tour of some of the most popular
virtualization software available: Microsoft Virtual PC 2004, VMware
Workstation 5.0, and Microsoft Virtual Server 2005.
<http://www.windowsdevcenter.com/pub/a/windows/2005/12/06/what-is-virtualization.html>

***Identifying Essential Windows Services: Part 2
In Part 1 of this series, Mitch Tulloch, author of Windows Server Hacks,
showed you how to identify which basic server services are essential,
and which can be turned off. In this second part, he shows you
additional services for servers configured with specific roles.
<http://www.windowsdevcenter.com/pub/a/windows/2005/12/13/identifying-essential-windows-services-2.html>

***Work Around Word XP's AutoCorrect Change
THE ANNOYANCE: When I upgraded to Word 2002 a month ago, I found my
AutoCorrect entries stopped working. In Word 97 and Word 2000
AutoCorrect, typing an abbreviated form immediately after a period will
cause the long form to displayâEUR"but not in Word 2002. I type many
hundreds of measurements in millimeters and centimeters every day, and
have therefore created AutoCorrect entries to save keystrokes. For
example, in Word 2002, I type "1m" and "1 mm" displays, "3c" and "3 cm"
displays, saving me two keystrokes each time. Also I type "1.5m" and
"1.5 mm" displays, "3.25c" and "3.25 cm" displays.
<http://www.annoyancescentral.com/experts/>

---------------------
Java
---------------------
***Hibernate Class Generation Using hbm2java
Hibernate uses mapping files to express the mapping of Java classes to
database tables. In a complex project, keeping mappings in sync with
your Java code can be burdensome and error-prone. Fortunately, the
hbm2java tool can automate this by generating POJO classes from the
mapping files. John Ferguson Smart shows how to use hbm2java with Ant
and Maven, and how to customize the behavior of the generated classes.
<http://www.onjava.com/pub/a/onjava/2005/12/14/hibernate-class-generation-with-hbm2java.html>

***Lightweight O/R Mapping
O/R frameworks map Java classes to database tables and SQL code. While
popular, this approach is unpopular among DBAs, with the database at the
mercy of an external tool. Another approach is to go the other
direction: write tables and stored procedures and generate Java classes
from that. Norbert Ehreke introduces Amber, a framework that embodies
this approach.
<http://www.onjava.com/pub/a/onjava/2005/12/07/relational-object-mapping.html>

---------------------
Digital Media
---------------------
***Five Fun Ways to Play with Audio Hijack Pro
It's like a sound lab on your Mac--with Audio Hijack Pro you can
digitize legacy music, time-shift radio shows, and even repurpose your
legally purchased music. Erica Sadun shows you five of her favorite AHP
tips.
<http://www.macdevcenter.com/pub/a/mac/2005/12/02/audio-hijack.html>

***Introduction to the Variations Color Correction Tool in Photoshop
Photoshop's Variations tool simplifies color correction by presenting
you with visual options in realtime. In this training video, Deke
McClelland shows you how perform simple color correction quickly.
<http://digitalmedia.oreilly.com/2005/12/05/variations-color-correction.html>

---------------------
MAKE
---------------------
***Meet Your Fellow Makers
Find and post events, exhibits, and more with Maker events listings:
<http://www.makezine.com/events/>

***MAKE Flickr
The MAKE Flickr Group Pool has 656 members posting with over 1,142
photos of all sorts of projects and gear. MAKE's favorites:

LCD Photo frame:
<http://www.flickr.com/photos/66914873@N00/68588536/in/pool-make/>

Maker-friendly labels:
<http://www.flickr.com/photos/gadge/66122992/in/pool-make/>

Small, medium, and organic dogs:
<http://www.flickr.com/photos/pmtorrone/65245861/in/pool-make/>

BOOK NEWS
Copies of our books are available for your members to review -- send me
an email with the delivery address together with the book you would like
to review. When the review is published, please send me a copy or the
url. I would also appreciate if you could send a copy to
www.amazon.co.uk <http://www.amazon.co.uk>

Latest books available for review -

	*	Head First HTML with CSS & XHTML
	Tired of reading HTML books that only make sense after you're an
expert? Then it's about time you picked up Head First HTML with CSS &
XHTML and really learn HTML. You want to learn HTML so you can finally
create those Web pages you've always wanted, so you can communicate more
effectively with friends, family, fans and fanatic customers. You also
want to do it right so you can actually maintain and expand your Web
pages over time, and so your Web pages work in all the browsers and
mobile devices out there. So what are you waiting for? Leave those other
dusty books behind and come join us in Webville. Your tour is about to
begin.

	*	Makers
	Celebrating digital tinkering, hardware hacks and DIY of all stripes,
O'Reilly introduces Makers, a beautiful hardbound book celebrating the
creativity and resourcefulness of the DIY movement. Author Bob Parks
profiles 100 people and their homebrew projects--people who make
ingenious things in their backyards, basements, and garages.
Technologies old and new are used in service of the serious and the
amusing, the practical and the outrageous as Makers explores both the
inventions and the characters behind them in living color.

****Coming Soon
?  Adobe Creative Suite 2 Workflow
<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/adobecs2work/>
?  C in a Nutshell <http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/cinanut/>
?  Dreamweaver 8: The Missing Manual
<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/dreamweaver8tmm/>
?  DV Filmmaking: From Start to Finish
<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/dvfilmmaking/>
?  Linux Server Hacks, Volume Two
<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/morelnxsvrhks/>
?  Monad <http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/msh/>
?  PCs: The Missing Manual <http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/pcstmm/>
?  PHP Hacks <http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/phphks/>
?  Programming MapPoint in .NET <http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/mappoint/>
?  Running Linux <http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/runlinux5/> (Fifth
Edition)
?  Running Mac OS X Tiger <http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/runmacx2/>
?  Skype Hacks <http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/skypehks/>
?  SQL Cookbook <http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/sqlckbk/>
?  VoIP Hacks <http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/voiphks/>
?  Windows Server 2003 Security Cookbook
<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/windowsssckbk/>
?  XSLT Cookbook <http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/xsltckbk2/> (Second
Edition)
?  Zero Configuration Networking: The Definitive Guide
<http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/bonjour/>

CONFERENCE NEWS

***ETech Registration is Open
We're five years into the O'Reilly Emerging Technology Conference and
the stuff of which it is made shows no sign of abating: bandwidth
continues to broaden, storage grows ever larger and cheaper, and content
keeps pouring from the firehose. How do we visualize all of this digital
data, filter it, remix it, and access it in meaningful ways? The coming
technical challenge is not about generating digital content-we have more
than enough already. It's time to do something with that data. It's time
to build The Attention Economy.

O'Reilly Emerging Technology Conference, March 6-9, 2006
Manchester Grand Hyatt, San Diego, CA
<http://conferences.oreilly.com/etech/>

User Group members who register before January 16, 2006 get a double
discount. Use code "et06dsug" when you register, and receive 20% off the
early registration price.

To register for the conference, go to:
<http://conferences.oreillynet.com/pub/w/43/register.html>

***New 40% discount for ETel--Early Registration Pricing Ends January 9
The early registration deadline for O'Reilly's Emerging Telephony
Conference (ETel) has been extended to January 9th. Join us on January
24-26 in San Francisco when telephony's key figures, like Jim Van
Meggelen, Peter Cochrane, Mark Spencer, Norman Lewis, and Clay Shirkey,
convene to provide a high-level perspective of the future of telephony.
And as a special offer to our friends, save an additional 40% when you
register using code etel06lms.
<http://conferences.oreilly.com/etel/>

To register for the conference, go to:
<http://conferences.oreillynet.com/cs/etel2006/create/ord_etel06>

CONFERENCES/EXHIBITIONS TO BE ATTENDED BY O'REILLY UK

***No conferences this month

YOUR BOOK REVIEWS

No reviews this time