[Nottingham] RFC: Proposed talks/events for 2005

Duncan John Fyfe djf at star.le.ac.uk
Tue Feb 1 13:34:08 GMT 2005

On Tue, 1 Feb 2005, Michael Erskine wrote:

> On Tuesday 01 February 2005 11:24, Martin Garton wrote:
>> That would be interesting to me too. This could perhaps also talk about
>> format conversion in general including e.g. DV to divx conversion or even
>> conversion to ogg theora/vorbis for a non patent-restricted format)
>
> Yup, we could bring in some kit for demonstration and testing: I have a DivX
> DVD player that plays all sorts of movie/music file formats on data CDs and
> DVDs (iso9660 + Joliet) so I tend to only write data disks with K3B. Of
> course, these won't play on most other folks "proper" DVD players that
> require the right filesystem. Until recently our family DVD player was a PS2
> and I think it's a good testbed for a grumpy no-frills, strict-standards
> player.
>
> There's a lot of discussion to be had about disk formats and writer
> compatibility (anyone use dual layer yet?) - and let's not forget the 2.6.8
> kernel thing where only root could write disks!

I'd recommend 'dvdbackup' for straight backup to harddisk then mkisofs and
dvdrecord to make the copy.

I can also tell you how to use dvdrip/tcextract/mplex/spumux to extract
individual titles, do simple menus and write them out in a way that will
play on most home DVD players.  It took me a couple weeks of
experimenting and bashing my head against awfull documentation to get it
right but I got their in the end.

A will write up a howto to add to the general mass of awfull documentation
at some point.

Have fun,
Duncan

--
Duncan John Fyfe          X-ray Astronomy Group,
                           Dept. of Physics & Astronomy,