[Nottingham] samba printing 'funny'

laccata laccata at ntlworld.com
Wed Feb 2 16:32:54 GMT 2005

Hi

> There are however a couple of problems with this. The printer that is
> 'opening...' (HP2300 laserjet), is the one used most.  The print queue
> for this can't be opened (it never could), but more importantly, the
> printer properties can't be opened either. As I say, it a lot faster
> print, but as these features seem to work on one printer, it frustrating
> that they don't work on both...

Don't know if this is the cause / fix, but you need to make sure that
the samba spool directory (/var/spool/samba) is world writable.

Some bits from my smb.conf (actually used with vmware with NT & W2003 -
but that shouldn't make any difference)

in [global]

; Automatically load the printer list (from /etc/printcap by default)
	printing = cups
	use client driver = yes
	load printers = yes

[printers]
     comment = All Printers
     path = /var/spool/samba
     use client driver = yes
     browseable = yes
     Print command = lpr -r -P %p %s -U %u -o raw
     lprm command = /usr/bin/lprm -P %p %j

I seem to remember that it took me a while to get this to work with W2003.

I think that the -o raw marries with the use client driver = yes.

Give it a whirl.

Gary