[Nottingham] Ubuntu fully installed

klarkin klarkin at scii.nl
Sat Feb 19 13:12:54 GMT 2005

hey there

well first off i would say more ram for sure
a minimum of 196 is what ubuntu requires

gnome is not so light
and open office is a heavy program also

also i dont know if you are using warty or hoary but i would advise
switching to hoary
i had many problems when using warty
compat problems ect ect
but all the symptoms you seem to be having are all because of a lack of
ram for sure

if you upgrade to hoary you can get a whole load more apps to use and chop
and change to suit your needs
i find the ubuntu install to be a good install disk but find the programs
that it comes with to be little use to me

hoary will provide you with gimp 2.2 >firefox 1.0 >xorg not xf86
and a whole world more of stuff to play with xmame mplayer ect ect

to update the sources list edit file file with your favorite editor
it may be wise to save the original file somewhere in your /home dir
in case you run into any probs later

and run apt-get update then apt-get dist-upgrade
will take a while on a slow line
but is worth the wait i cam assure you
any further questions
fell free to mail me direct
always willing to help

this is my /ect/apt/sources.list
- -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu hoary main restricted
deb-src http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu hoary main restricted

deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu hoary universe
deb-src http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu hoary universe

deb http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ hoary multiverse
deb ftp://ftp.nerim.net/debian-marillat/ unstable main

deb http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu hoary-security main restricted
deb-src http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu hoary-security main restricted
- -------------------------------------------------------------------------------i
i have been up and running ubuntu for months now without a hitch
on a 434mhz celeron with 196mb ram

viva ubuntu

on Sat, 19 Feb 2005, Ron Wilton wrote:

> Hello
>
> Thanks for the warm welcome on Wednesday evening.
>
> You might be interested to know that I've managed to fully load Ubuntu on Thursday after some suggestions that were given to me.
>
> However, I do have a few things that I'm having trouble with.
>
> I am disappointed a little with the slowness of GNOME - especially with OpenOffice, though perhaps I shouldn't really be too surprised as my system only has 62MB RAM available (2MB has been taken up for the onboard graphics). Are there any ways of how I might speed up the system (eg are there some programmes running in the background that might be taking up RAM that I might not need), before I go and buy some more memory.
>
> I'm also having problems with the CD player as it sometimes freezes the system when I try to read from it.
>
> I'm finding it difficult getting my head around the linux file management system - I think this is due to my thinking 'Windows'. Do you have any suggestions that might help me change my thinking.
>
> Thanks
>
> Ron

>  ALL-NEW Yahoo! Messenger - all new features - even more fun!

get my gpg key: lynx -dump http://scii.nl/~klarkin/klaar.key|gpg --import
web site:       http://scii.nl/~klarkin