[Nottingham] NTLDR not present

Joe Wrigley joe at wrigley.me.uk
Mon Jan 10 14:43:40 GMT 2005

Eek,

A new problem I've not come across before.

I just reinstalled Ubuntu, and all seems to have gone well. However, my
WinXP install no longer boots. Ubuntu helpfully put the relevant
chainloader section in my menu.lst

The windows install is in the first partition on the hardisk. /dev/hda1
to Linux in general, hd(0,0) to Grub.

Therefore, I have

title           Windows NT/2000/XP
root            (hd0,0)
savedefault
makeactive
chainloader     +1

which has always worked before, no problems. However, when I try to boot
Windows (well, I actually did it by accident, wrong menu selection) I
get a failure with "NTLDR not present" "Press any key blah blah..." and
dumped back out to the Grub menu.

My initial reaction was "oh crap, I've nuked the partition", but I can
still mount it OK and see all the files there. In fact there is still a
file called ntldr in what would be C:\

Any ideas anyone? Much as I dislike Windows, I've actually had the same
installation since I got the laptop, erm a couple of years ago which
must be some kind of record. It's got a lot of stuff installed that
would take me ages to reinstall and besides, I don't have an install
disk; despite having a licence key (crummy OEM "restore" disk, mutter)

I am slowly getting my other half onto Linux, little by little, but she
still wants Windows and Office "until she's finished her dissertation"
which I understand. It's not the best time to force change.

Little help?

Joe