[Nottingham] Re: Winmodem support (Chris Stones)

James Gibbon jg at jamesgibbon.com
Sat Jan 22 16:33:16 GMT 2005

On Sat, 22 Jan 2005 15:59:12 +0000
"C.Lockwood" <c-lockwood_xr6 at metronet.co.uk> wrote:

> I have just tried Knoppix on CD (not installed) to check which
> hardware  would work on my system with Linux.  My Canon S750 printer
> did'nt, and  the Speedtouch PC internal modem would'nt either.  I use
> the modem on broadband at 512 kb with Win 98SE, so is it the kind of
> crud modem to  which you refer ?

We aren't talking about broadband here - "winmodems" are used for
dialup connections (and by the way, can often be made to work with
Linux very happily with a bit of effort - my laptop has a Conexant
winmodem that works nicely with Slackware).  It sounds like you're
referring to a cable or DSL modem of some kind if you use it for a
broadband connection, I think probably DSL.

> Do I have to change to an external modem if I want to run Linux
> on broadband  ?

Don't know if your particular modem is supported, but it's highly
possible that it isn't, from what I've just gathered from a curious
nose around with Google.