[Nottingham] samba and my rapidy unravelling sanity...

David Wolfson eaxdrw at nottingham.ac.uk
Wed Jul 13 14:00:24 BST 2005

Still no luck, but I'll give a few more details on the current situtation,

>> I am going bonkers. Why on earth should a samba password change throw all the printing
>> out the window? Other than a couple of niggles (e.g. never decreasing list of old jobs)
>
>Could it be that the windows people had the samba password for the
>printer stored on their machines and now no longer have the correct
>access? I did have a similar problem when my samba access was
>incorrectly configured and trying to connect to the printer wouldn't
>even ask for a password but navigating to \\samba_server in explorer
>would ask for a password.

It was only one user, and everyone can still access all the file shares, so it doesn't appear to be an access problem.

>> I can get IPP to run properly.
>
>How doesn't it work? I presume you are trying to add a printer,
>choosing network printer entering a URL like
>
>http://printer_server:631/printers/printer_name

exactly that. In fact, I can't even get to it from firefox except locally (i.e. localhost:631). I get a 403 forbiden error, with firewall up/down or 631 open specifically.

>If you are getting "Access denied" dialog boxes then you've either got
>cups set up to be too restrictive *or* it is denying access to the
>proxy server. Yes, if IE has a proxy server set up then it will try
>and connect through the proxy to the above address. I did run into
>this as well.
The proxy makes sense I supose. I've now changed it to 'Allow From All' and still no luck.

I'd like to get it going on IPP, so I'm going to keep pluggin away at that for now. Since this is not really my job, how much do you think it'd cost to get someone in a proffesional capacity to come and look at it? It's about time the boss realised how much money I've saved him over the last few years, and I'm sure i'd give someone a good laugh/cringe at the same time!

Cheers all,

Dave