[Nottingham] samba and my rapidy unravelling sanity...

David Wolfson eaxdrw at nottingham.ac.uk
Wed Jul 13 19:26:24 BST 2005

>I am going bonkers. Why on earth should a samba password change throw all the printing out the window?
>Other than a couple of niggles (e.g. never decreasing list of old jobs) everything was working fine for
>months, now, the only way to get anything out of it is via an lpr at a terminal! As print serving is the most
>common job on this machine and until today this was the best it'd run EVER, I'm now a rather frustrated
>bunny (can you tell!).

Right. A little calmer now, and maybe a little closer to a solution.

>I can't get SWAT to run.
SWAT now works - score 2

>I can get IPP to run properly.
But I can now access cups from a browser on client machines and print a test page - score 1/2 ?

>Neither smb.conf or cups.conf have changed.
They have now. As the better solution would be ipp straight to cups (and samba seems to have given up) I've removed the printers from samba, and cleaned up cupsd.conf so that it is just about readable. It should be attached to this mail...

>Queues can be seen in windows and printer properties examined, but 'printing failed when starting the
>document' every time.
Not any more. Adding the printer using ipp now causes the add printer wizard to hang. Although a suitable looking icon appears in 'printer and faxes' its status is always 'opening' and it will do nothing.

>On my network, the main machine (running Mandrake 2005LE) is running CUPS but
>the Samba daemon is not running.   Despite the lack of the Samba server, a
>Windows machine just happily printed a bit of text in Notepad using the
>printer attached to the main machine.

This is what I'm after! Presumably this is straight to cups with ipp? If that is the case then a look at the relecent bits of your cupsd.conf would be very helpful...

At the moment it seems to me that cups wants to take jobs (as it will allow access from a web browser), but either cups or windows isn't talking quite right, or an access is not right somewhere.

So, any more clues or tips?

If I'm not careful someone will call IT support to come with windows discs ... eeek!

ttfn

Dave